Auto Insurance in York, PA


What types of coverage are typically included in auto insurance policies and which ones are required by law?

Auto insurance policies typically include liability coverage, which pays for damages to other people and their property that you cause while driving. Collision coverage pays for damages to your own vehicle in a collision, while comprehensive coverage pays for damages caused by events such as theft, fire, and vandalism. Personal injury protection (PIP) provides coverage for medical expenses and lost wages resulting from an accident.

In terms of legal requirements, each state has different minimum coverage requirements, but most require liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage. Some states also require PIP or medical payments coverage. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is also required in some states or offered as an optional add-on, providing coverage if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

How is my auto insurance premium determined and what factors influence the cost of my coverage?

Your auto insurance premium is determined by a number of factors including your age, driving record, type of car and where you live. Other determining factors include the type and level of coverage you choose, your credit score, and your deductible amount. The higher the level of coverage you choose, the more expensive your premium will be. Insurance companies also consider the likelihood of a claim being filed based on factors such as your age, gender, and previous insurance claims.

If you have a history of accidents or traffic violations, you can expect to pay higher premiums than someone with a clean driving record. Your credit score can also affect your premium as studies have shown that people with lower credit scores are more likely to file a claim. Overall, insurance companies use complex algorithms to calculate premiums, and it’s important to shop around and compare quotes to ensure that you’re getting the best coverage for the best price.

What happens if I get into an accident or my vehicle is damaged? How does the claims process work with auto insurance?

If you get into an accident or your vehicle is damaged, you will need to file a claim with your auto insurance company. The first step is to contact your insurance company and provide them with all the necessary information about the accident or damage. They will assign a claims adjuster who will review the details of the accident and determine the extent of the damage. If the damage is covered under your policy, the adjuster will provide you with an estimate for the cost of repairs.

You can then take your vehicle to an approved repair shop for repairs. The repair shop will provide the insurance company with the invoice for the repairs and the insurance company will send payment directly to the repair shop.

If your car is totaled, the insurance company will pay you the actual cash value of the vehicle, less your deductible. Your deductible is the amount you agreed to pay out of pocket before the insurance coverage kicks in. The claims process can take several days or weeks to complete, depending on the extent of the damage and the complexity of the claim.

Got additional questions about auto insurance?

Give the team at Kocman Insurance Group a call at 717-854-0300 and we will be glad to answer any of your questions or concerns. 

We're here to help!

Hi there! Seeking personalized insurance guidance and support? Don't worry, we have got you covered! Feel free to reach out to our talented and experienced insurance agents who are always ready to assist you with their expertise and knowledge. We understand how important insurance is and how overwhelming it can be at times, but that's what we are here for! Let us help you find the right coverage and provide you with exceptional customer service. Contact us today and let's get started!