Flood Insurance in York, PA


What does flood insurance cover and what types of damages or losses are typically included?

Flood insurance is a type of insurance policy that provides coverage for the financial losses associated with damages caused by floods or water damage. It covers the cost of repairing or replacing the building’s structure and its contents, including furniture, electronics, and appliances. It also covers damages to the property’s electrical and plumbing systems, as well as other types of permanent fixtures. Flood insurance typically does not cover damages that are not directly caused by water, such as mold or mildew.

Additionally, it usually does not cover any additional living expenses incurred because of a flood, such as the cost of temporary housing. It is important to note that flood insurance is typically required for properties located in high-risk areas, and is separate from homeowner’s insurance policies.

Is flood insurance required by law, or is it optional?

Flood insurance is not required by law for all properties. However, if you live in a high-risk flood zone and have a mortgage from a federally regulated or insured lender, you are required to have flood insurance. This is because the lender wants to protect their investment in case the property is damaged or destroyed by a flood.

Additionally, if you live in a moderate-to-low risk area, flood insurance is generally not required, but it may still be recommended as floods can happen anywhere at any time. As such, it is important to check with your local government and insurance provider to determine if flood insurance is required or recommended for your property.

How is flood insurance different from homeowners insurance or renters insurance, and can I have both policies to ensure complete coverage for my property?

Flood insurance is different from homeowners or renters insurance in that it specifically covers damages from floods, which are not typically covered under standard home insurance policies.

Homeowners insurance and renters insurance, on the other hand, provide coverage for damages to your property caused by theft, fire, and other types of disasters. However, damage caused by floods is typically excluded from these policies.

If you live in a high-risk flood area, it is recommended that you purchase both a homeowners or renters insurance policy and a separate flood insurance policy to ensure complete coverage for your property. Be sure to carefully review your policies to understand exactly what is covered and what is not.

Got additional questions about flood insurance?

Give the team at Kocman Insurance Group a call at 717-854-0300 and we will be glad to answer any of your questions or concerns. 

We're here to help!

Hi there! Seeking personalized insurance guidance and support? Don't worry, we have got you covered! Feel free to reach out to our talented and experienced insurance agents who are always ready to assist you with their expertise and knowledge. We understand how important insurance is and how overwhelming it can be at times, but that's what we are here for! Let us help you find the right coverage and provide you with exceptional customer service. Contact us today and let's get started!